We want you to succeed! And we also know that our brand of online learning isn’t right for everyone. During our 2-1/2 year pilot phase (2008-2010) we identified three areas that strongly predict success with our program. Assess yourself, then proceed with the recommended link at the bottom of this page.
1: Basic Computer Literacy
The TWInstitute program is conducted entirely online, on a learning platform that was chosen to be both sophisticated and simple to navigate. However, all of our classes require that you have basic computer skills. You must be able to:
- fluently manage email
- upload and download files
- navigate website menus
- have high speed internet on a reasonably current and well-functioning computer
2: Commitment to Educational Community
The mission statement of the TWInstitute is to be the premier source of education and training on the power of writing to heal body, psyche and soul. We are an educational community with actual classes, teachers, texts, homework, assignments, discussions and learning objectives. Please bring your own best practice and agree to:
- honor the ground rules and learning agreements of the TWInstitute
- be a participating member of a serious educational community for the full 8 weeks of the term (subject to exceptions should urgent needs arise)
- schedule necessary time each week (average 3 hours/week/class) to participate in reading, writing and online discussion, as assigned
- pay tuition ($300/class for non-trainees, $250/class for CJF and CAS trainees) when due
3: Experience with Online Learning
- If you’ve previously taken (or taught!) online classes in a college or university setting (perhaps with learning platforms such as BlackBoard, eCollege, etc.) you will likely find the TWI learning platform to be familiar and easy to navigate.
- If you haven’t had specific online education, but you’ve participated in an informal online class that used an email discussion format (such as yahoogroups, Google groups, etc.), there’s an excellent chance that you’ll do well.
- If this is your first online learning experience, but you meet the criteria in 1 and 2 and you’re willing and able to learn, you’re likely to do just fine. We provide new student orientation, audio and video tutorials, and personalized technical support.
How did you do? Is the Therapeutic Writing Institute right for you?
IF YES, please proceed to the Schedule of Classes for the upcoming term.
IF NOT NOW, perhaps you’ll enjoy taking a lighter, less intensive course of study. How about our fun, lively 6-week Journal to the Self Online?
IF NOT SURE, please contact us and we’ll arrange a phone conversation to discuss options.