The Certificate of Advanced Study in Therapeutic Writing is available to licensed psychotherapists who want a fast track to the theory and practice of therapeutic writing without undergoing full requirements for credentials training. Training consists of eight classes:
Core Theories: Progoff Method, Pennebaker Method, Adams Method (3 courses)
PLUS ANY FIVE ELECTIVES. One or two of the electives may be taken in the Professional Development series.
The culminating project is an 8-10 page paper that synthesizes learning and offers a vision for incorporating advanced study into professional practice.
The Certificate of Advanced Study may be begun at any time. All TWI coursework successfully completed at the time of application transfers automatically.
Application is made by emailing a letter of intent to email@example.com, that includes the following:
- Full contact information, including postal address, phone numbers, email address and (if applicable) website
- Full licensure information, including state of issuance, date of most recent renewal, date of expiration and license number
- Acknowledgment that professional liability insurance coverage is in effect and current
- Experience with therapeutic writing (journal, poetry, memoir) in personal and/or professional practice
- Prior education and training (if any) received in therapeutic writing, including participation in Journal Therapy workshops with Kathleen Adams (Cross Country Education, Center for Journal Therapy, or Therapeutic Writing Institute).
- Statement of interest in training: What attracted you? What do you hope to gain from this training experience?
CAS: Not a Credential
The Certificate of Advanced Study is not a credential. If you are interested in the full Certified Journal Therapist (CJT) credentials training, go here.